St. Anthony Hall was founded as the Fraternity of Delta Psi at Columbia University in New York City on January 17, 1847, the feast day of Saint Anthony. It began as a fraternity dedicated to the love of education and the well-being of its members. Chapters were soon founded throughout the Northeast and extended into the South during the mid-1800 Contact was lost with the Southern chapters during the Civil War, but brothers on both sides of the War wore their badges into battle, serving with distinction. After the War, contact was reestablished with several of the Southern chapters. More recently, St. Anthony Hall became one of the first fraternal organizations to accept women, beginning at Yale in the late 1960s. While we use the Greek name Delta Psi, we are traditionally known as St. Anthony Hall, and we use that name nationally to emphasize the consistency of our traditions. We currently have ten undergraduate chapters at premier universities across the East Coast, stretching from Massachusetts to Mississippi. We remain to this day a group of college students interested in the bonds of fraternity and sharing a common passion for the love of learning, literature and the arts.
The Xi Chapter of St. Anthony Hall was founded at UNC Chapel Hill on November 20, 1854, making it the second oldest active Greek organization on campus. The Chapter went inactive after the Civil War, but was re-founded in 1926 and has been active ever since. We have always prided ourselves in our diversity, and in 1967 we were the first Greek organization at UNC to admit an African-American. We became co-educational in 1971 and have included a vast array of men and women ever since. Prominent Xi Chapter alumni include Charles Kuralt, Jonathan Yardley, Peter Gammons, Jeff MacNelly, Anson Dorrance, and Charles Thomas Scott. The Hall moved to its current location at 207 Pittsboro Street in 1960, serving as home to generations of brothers and sisters for the last half-century.
Life at “The Hall” Today